Monday, August 31, 2015

Unintentional Advertising

When I first looked at buying the home I live in now, there were a number of things that had me excited about it.  The location was great, the neighborhood was inviting and friendly, there was a big park in the backyard for hosting Nerf and Laser Tag games, and there was a nice big garage waiting to be fully utilized.  The garage has become my "office" with all sorts of space for my workbench, massive armory, tools, parts, and my beloved Subarus.  Covering the entire north wall of the garage were panels of pegboard that I mounted hooks and holders for Screwdrivers, Power Tools, and everything in-between... but since there was SO MUCH space, I decided to fill the unused portions with some of my favorite blasters.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I happened to put my blasters underneath the light for the garage door on the side... so at night they are illuminated.  Also, since it's on the north wall, in the mornings when I have the garage open, the sunlight lights up that wall, again displaying my collection.  In the two years I've owned the house, I can't tell you how many neighbors or even a random passerby have stopped to ask about them.  Just the other day I was doing some cleaning in the garage and I went inside to grab some water.  When I came back out, a fleet of boys were standing in front of the garage inspecting the display talking among themselves "That tan one is a sniper rifle!"  "I think my brother has that orange one, but it's different."  "What's that rocket thing?" so I spent much of the morning explaining each blaster and fielding their questions.

Adorning my wall is a Crossbolt, Elite Alpha Trooper with an OMW kit, modified SledgeFire, my "Van Helsing" SlingFire, my LTX DMR, the soon-to-be-modified LawBringer, a modified Demolisher w/Strike & Defend blaster stock, the ELV2, and the Blue "Unity Power System".  And with the upcoming Nerf War in my backyard, I took this opportunity to plug that event to get some more players with us.  I never intended for my pegboard wall to be an advertising asset, but it's certainly been working!

3 comments:

  1. I get this a lot. Got a ton of kids in my neighborhood who are mostly oblivious to any of the older stuff that was the rage then. I was out test firing my SM5k in the street one day since it's the only place nearby large enough to shoot something with that much power and you could have sworn they thought it was the second coming. I therefore politely explained that they couldn't buy it at Walmart right now because it was discontinued before they were even born. I get much of the same now whenever I'm out firing off some oddity in my front yard and they happen to catch me. It's actually a bit fun educating them on the more in depth and unknown aspects of nerf and for all I know, they may follow in my footsteps one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. SuperMAXX 5000

      This one is mine: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YiZ48UEsB3Q/Ux42FBZ18WI/AAAAAAAAB54/cSeTkzDqmUs/s1600/DSC00063.JPG

      Delete