Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Too Hot? Switch it up!

I'm not sure about the rest of the US (or the rest of the world for that matter) but weather forecasts are expecting a string of 90-100 degree temperatures with humid muggy conditions for the entire week in the Midwest.  We are smack-dab in the middle of my Omaha-based Laser Tag group's summer season... but instead of melting this Friday evening for our weekly game... we'll be staying cool.  For the first time ever, we'll be trading our electronics for some H²O!  Sure it's not what we usually do, but I'd rather have people come out and have fun than have 5 people show that will collapse of heat-exhaustion a half-hour into the game.


This week we're gonna cool off with some Super Soakers in an epic Water War in the same park we would normally be playing Nerf or Laser Tag.  While I don't have an arsenal of Water Guns to loan out like I usually do, I do have a back yard that conveniently shares a border with the park we play in, so getting refills on water for our blasters will be easy.  It should be a fun change of pace.  I'm not sure how we'll actually run the games... or if it'll just be mindless soakage, but I know it'll be fun and I know people will have a good time!

This year I've been getting a little bent-out-of-shape on my hobbies.  I quickly realized that, instead of getting worked up about numbers and turnout and the like... that it should be about having fun regardless of whether it's 5 people or 35 people.  This Water War is just an easy way to switch things up and help us focus on what's really important: having a good time.  When plans don't go your way, switch things up and just focus on enjoying the time with whoever shows up.  There's no point in getting down on statistics or technicalities if people are having fun.

1 comment:

  1. I agree entirely. It is hard to operate in the hot summer, especially when you're lugging a couple pounds of gear around.

    ReplyDelete