Saturday, June 2, 2012

Water Blasting Shots

If there's one thing that's nearly guarenteed to make a shot "cooler", it's catching it in mid-air.  Almost every mid-air shot I've seen for Nerf is pretty epic just because of that fact.  I've staged plenty of pictures before to get this effect but I've never tried it with a water blaster.  Well, today I messed around with some of my favorites from the new Super Soaker lineup and boy was it easy!  Just thought I'd share a few of them here to inspire the inner photographer in you.  Who knows, maybe you could get a Shot of the Week from Nerf Nation?

A quick pull of the trigger just before the timer goes off on my digital camera worked the first time for each blaster.  I use a Canon ELPH 300HS mounted on a tripod, pre-focus it where I want, set the timer for 10 seconds, and let 'er rip just before the shutter closes.  I use this technique for most of my "action shots" that I take, but it usually takes several tries to get it right with a dart blaster.  With these water blasters, it was MUCH easier!

I was kinda hoping for a little more of that "Spinning Cyclone of Soakage" from the Tornado Strike, but I think that was just the effect of the box artwork showcasing it's tightly knit spin for the two streams it puts out.  However, after 3 shots with my Tornado Strike, I'm convinced the spinning has NEVER been that tight.  No big loss, as it still turned out to be a neat shot.

I'm admittedly a bit of a photography nut, as I'm just an aesthetics whore in general.  If you haven't been following Rolley's photography blog and wanna see some neat pictures, go check it out.  He also runs the Street Tag Warfare blog but has this separate blog for his photography hobby.  Gotta say I've been a fan of both.

9 comments:

  1. That first picture is freaking crazy. You should submit these for that Nerf "shot of the week" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm pretty sure water can't really spin that tight with the pressure it's shot out and whatnot. I do think, however, you can get some spiral action if you get a shot of the water a bit further out from the water gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question what is the best new super soaker? I'm gonna get some here soon and I want to get the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asking what the "best" one is like asking what the best Nerf blaster is. While there's considerably fewer choices in the Super Soaker lineup, even I haven't settled on a favorite. I'd say my top 3 are the ones I pictured though: the Hydro Cannon for it's immense power, the Shot Blast for it's great range and punch it's water stream has, and the general feel and spread that the Tornado Strike offers. Hmm... maybe I should do a post/video on this though? Wonder if there's enough interest.

      Delete
    2. Ah so it is like picking a favorite child? I would most likely get a shot blast if they are still available, I would like to see a video about the pros and cons of these since this summer could be the hottest one In the past 20 years.

      Delete
  4. Those are some pretty rad shots there, love the hydro cannon. Thanks for the support zook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking about getting one just to mess around with, I don't want clips or a very big size, is the scatter blast any good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you need to read my latest post: http://bazookafied.blogspot.com/2012/06/super-soaker-breakdown.html

      Delete
  6. That water gun is totally amazing! I love how it looks and i am pretty sure my kids would enjoy playing this. Me and my husband can join in this too. Pretty exciting! I wonder how much would this cost?- www.waterblast.pro

    ReplyDelete