Saturday, August 6, 2011

I.T.S. reminds me of B.A.R.T.

Granted, it's been almost 15 years since it's debut, but the new I.T.S. released as part of Light Strike's lineup reminds me a bit of our old Laser Challenge Buddy, "B.A.R.T."  ITS stands for "Intelligent Targeting System" and, near as I've been able to tell, is a motorized target with features for different game types and training.  
BART was released with the first wave of Laser Challenge gear by Toymax back in 1997.  It's name stands for "Bio Automated Roaming Target" and runs around on the ground whilst trying to dodge your attacks with a series of random movements.  The "Shootback Bart" that was later released with Laser Challenge V2 had, you guessed it, the ability to shoot back at you while it moved.

I suppose it's just amusing for me to see this concept recycled a decade and a half later!  Obviously the ITS is a bit more advanced than BART, but given the simplistic nature of Laser Challenge and the gimmick-laden complexity of Light Strike, that only makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment