Monday, July 18, 2011

Lens-less

I just finished reading up Urban Tagger's incredibly in-depth review of Light Strike as I try to wrap my head around this new system.  There are things I like and dislike about it and I think one of my main problems is that blaster aesthetics are a big bias of mine.  Let's face it... when you're used to using blasters like this and this, going with a Paper Jamz blaster is less than desirable.  I've tried really hard to keep that factor at bay as I read reviews on it and try to gauge this system for myself without having access to purchasing it just yet.



The big issue I keep coming back to is range... or lack thereof in blasters.  Even if it wasn't the most technologically advanced laser tag system ever, if there's one good thing we saw from the Laser Challenge brand, it was great lenses and range.  The legendary Laser Challenge V2 Firestorm's lens (which can achieve ranges that exceed 1000 ft) has been regarded by Mike Yates as the best consumer-grade produced lens in a laser tag blaster.  That's saying a LOT from a guy who can build his own optics and is known for his excellent custom blasters at CTDYNE.  Several of his blasters are actually built around this epic lens, including the V-206 Maverick.

Now I know what you're going to say.  "What's the big deal of range if you're playing indoors."  And while I realize that the main focus of Light Strike is indoors, you can still at least put a lens on it.  Take the LTX or LTTO line for example.  These systems work excellent indoors and are accurate (unlike LC, which tends to spray IR everywhere indoors).  They have very focused lenses in them that allow them to achieve great accuracy.  However, these lenses also give them considerable range, which allows for them to be used outdoors as well.  I'm sure the idea of kids playing with guns OUTSIDE is much more desirable for mom and dad's nice priddy home... not to mention, outdoor laser tag is my preferred setting.

Laser Tag without lenses?  It just seems silly to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment